Stories are just that, a story that is written and narrated by native speakers of the language you're learning. You can listen and read along at the same time, and even record yourself reading the story out loud to listen back and practice your pronunciation! Stories offer broad exposure to your new language with a wide range of entertaining topics—read poetry, take a tour of a city, or hear about a family's work on their farm.
Learn more about Stories:
Where to Find Stories
Stories can be accessed from your Rosetta Stone profile within a web browser or on the Learn Language With Rosetta Stone mobile app.
Learn more about how to access stories on each type of device:
- Click "Extended Learning."
- Click "Stories."
- From the main screen, tap the "Menu" button at the top right.
- Tap "Extended Learning."
- Tap "Stories."
How to Use Stories
Although the interface may look different between the web and mobile app versions, using Stories is fundamentally the same.
- Select a story you find interesting that also matches your skill level based on the units you have completed on the "Learn" tab.
- The program may then ask to test your microphone.
- Once in the Story, you can select between three ways to interact with it: Read, Listen, and Record.
Learn more about how to use stories on each type of device:
- Once in the story, you can select one of the three icons to change modes from Listen, Read, and Record.
- If the text is too small, you can resize it using the "text size" tool at the top right.
- You can start and stop the reading and recording at any time using the controls at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap on a story of your choice. Once the download is complete, tap on it again.
- You'll be launched into "Read" the story initially. There is no recording or native speaker; just you reading.
- Tap the "Headphone" icon to listen to the story as read by a native speaker.
- Tap the "Person Speaking" icon to record yourself reading the story while being scored by our TruAccent speech recognition technology.
Child-friendly stories provide engaging, interactive content along with colorful images to appeal to children of all ages.
Children can choose to read age-appropriate stories to themselves or read along with a narrator who is a native speaker of their target language. They can even record themselves reading aloud and then listen to that recording to improve their pronunciation!
To access child-friendly stories:
1. Click "Extended Learning."
2. Click "Stories."
3. Click the "Child-friendly" button at the top right.
Child-friendly stories are currently available in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish.