For our learner and administrator applications, Rosetta Stone utilizes technologies commonly used in online learning. Many clients can use these applications within their networks and on their computers as currently configured. However, some clients may need to adjust proxy server or end-user computer settings. This document should be reviewed by your IT staff.
System requirements are listed below, are subject to change over time and need to be supported on your end-user computers and within your network.
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OS X 10.9 or later
- ChromeOS latest*
- Current and previous three versions of Chrome, Firefox
- Edge Chromium
- Safari 10/11
Hardware, software, and other requirements:
- Processor Speed (minimum):
- Windows: 2.33GHz for x86-compatible processors and 1.6GHz for Intel® Atom™ netbooks
- Mac: 1.33GHz for Intel Core™ Duo
- 1GB available RAM
- 1024 x 768 display resolution
- USB headset with microphone or single pin earbuds with microphone
- Bandwidth: 500 kbps download; bandwidth can be tested at http://launch.RosettaStone.com/speedtest/.
- Latency: <300ms; latency can be tested at http://launch.RosettaStone.com/speedtest/.
- Mobile Devices***: iOS 11 or later; Android 5 or later
- For games for beginners, Flash is required and latest version is recommended.
Please note that learner computers communicate with the domains listed below. Rosetta Stone adds services over time as it expands product functionality. If your organization sets exceptions or trusted sites in network-level assets or in standard images, we recommend entering the domains below to support future subdomain additions. Also note that Rosetta Stone utilizes a CDN load balancer and over a half dozen CDNs to intelligently deliver all file downloads through the most efficient route from the RosettaStone.com domain.
- *.adobe.com (for beginner live tutoring and games)
- *.macromedia.com (for beginner live tutoring and games)
For communication such as password setting and live tutoring session reminders, please allow your users to receive emails from:
Note that Rosetta Stone does not send marketing emails to learners or administrative users.
Protocols and Ports:
Live Tutoring only:
Intermediate/Advanced (Fluency Builder):
- RTMFP over port 1935 (UDP). FMS listens on port 1935 for an incoming connection and then re-directs that request to a port in the 19350 - 19400 range with rollover to RTMPS over port 443 (TCP) if port 1935 is blocked.
- Flash VoIP supported from *.rosettastone.com
- XMPP over port 80 or 443
*Chrome OS is supported for Foundations.
- TCP over port 443
- For the best experience, we recommend opening UDP ports 1025 - 65535 to traffic from tokbox.com and opentok.com. The ports only accept inbound traffic after an outbound request is sent. The connection is bidirectional but is always initiated from the corporate network/client so it is not possible for an external entity to send malicious traffic in the opposite direction.
**IE 11 is not supported for Catalyst Season 2. Foundations learners who use IE 11 should click here for system requirements.
***Administrative Tools are not supported on mobile devices at this time.