Rosetta Stone is in the process of removing dependence on Adobe Flash in our products and we are currently inviting clients to participate in our beta program to try it out. If you're a current Language Lessons V3 client interested in the beta program or have already been invited, please read through this article for detailed information that may be useful for planning and distribution within your organization.
Table of Contents
Reducing reliance on Adobe Flash should cut down on the number of technical issues and improve the learner experience overall. There are no additional features at this time.
- Rosetta Stone Course and speech recognition no longer require Adobe Flash.
- Graphical enhancements have been made but the largest change to users may be the home screen.
When learners log in to Language Lessons V3, they are initially asked to pick a Level, which gives them access to Units 1-4 for that Level. In Foundations, however, learners are not asked to pick a level upon login and will have access to all content at once.
Upon login to Foundations, learners will be immediately launched to the home screen (see below). This shows the most recent Unit the learner has worked on (Unit 1 for newcomers) so they can pick up where they left off. From here, the learner can see all Units available for their language and select a different Unit to work on by clicking the "Show Menu" option at the top left.
| Home Screen - Language Lessons V3
| Home Screen - Foundations Beta
Course - Language Lessons V3
Course - Foundations Beta
Microphone Setup - Language Lessons V3
Microphone Setup - Foundations Beta
Settings Menu - Language Lessons V3
Settings Menu - Foundations Beta
No more Flash prompts!
More About the Foundations Beta Home Screen
The home screen is the screen shown right after logging in and from which a user may select a lesson. This area contains the most significant changes:
Getting Started in the New Interface
Picking up where you left off in your last session or starting a new lesson
- Sign in to enter the home screen
- Click the button highlighted in blue; Start or Resume
Picking a different unit or lesson than what is suggested
- From the home screen, click "Show Menu"
- Select a Unit
- Select a Lesson or Exercise
Exercise Status and Scores at a Glance
Before a learner starts an activity, the progress bar displays the estimated time (just like mobile), and the action button indicates the learner can start the activity.
Once a learner has started an activity, the status above the progress bar changes to "In progress" and the bar fills accordingly:
Text under the status bar displays the number correct, incorrect, and skipped.
- Green indicates correct answers
- Red indicates incorrect answers
- Dark Gray indicates skipped questions
- Light Gray indicates questions not seen
The action button indicates the learner can resume the activity.
|Complete - Passed|
Once a learner has completed the activity, the status above the progress bar displays their score.
If the learner has passed the activity, a green check appears next to the progress bar, and the action changes to "Review."
|Complete - Not Passed|
If the learner has completed the activity but did not meet the score threshold, they'll see a red alert icon next to the progress bar. The action button also shows that they may retry the activity.
Are there limitations?
- Flash is required when accessing Games & Activities and Live Tutoring. More features will be available without Flash as the beta progresses.
- Speech analysis is unavailable in the beta though speech exercises still function.
- Available in all languages offered in Foundations except Arabic and Persian (Farsi).
- English is currently the only available interface language. More interface languages will be available as the beta progresses.
- Compatible with Chrome 59+, FireFox 57+, Edge 17+, and Safari 11+
What does it take to implement this?
If you are currently a Language Lessons V3 client that would like to join the Foundations beta, please contact your Account Manager and/or Client Manager for more information about migrating your Language Lessons V3 learners to Foundations.
Once you've been migrated to Foundations, Rosetta Stone turns on the beta. There are no additional steps you have to take.
What if something goes wrong?
Contact your Client Manager, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 877-223-9848.