For its client learner and administrator applications, Rosetta Stone utilizes technologies commonly used in online learning. Many clients can use these applications within their networks and on their computers as currently configured. However, some clients may need to adjust proxy server or end-user computer settings. This document should be reviewed by your IT staff and is subject to change.
- Operating Systems
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OS X 10.9 or later
- ChromeOS latest (supported for Foundations only)
- Hardware (Minimum)
- Windows – 2.33GHz for x86-compatible processors and 1.6GHz for Intel® Atom™ netbooks
- Mac – 1.33GHz for Intel Core™ Duo
- 1GB available RAM
- 1024 x 768 display resolution
- Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox - current and previous three versions
- Safari 12
- Edge Chromium - current version
- Mobile Devices (Foundations administrative tools not supported)
- iOS 11 or later
- Android 6 or later
- Other Requirements
Please note that learner computers communicate with the domains listed below. Rosetta Stone adds services over time as it expands product functionality. If your organization sets exceptions or trusted sites in network-level assets or in standard images, we recommend entering the domains below to support future subdomain additions. Also note that Rosetta Stone utilizes a CDN load balancer and over a half dozen CDNs to intelligently deliver all file downloads through the most efficient route from the RosettaStone.com domain.
Protocols and Ports
For communication such as password settings and live tutoring session reminders, please allow your users to receive emails from:
Note that Rosetta Stone does not send marketing emails to learners or administrative users.
- RTMFP over port 1935 (UDP). FMS listens on port 1935 for an incoming connection and then re-directs that request to a port in the 19350 - 19400 range with rollover to RTMPS over port 443 (TCP) if port 1935 is blocked.
- XMPP over port 80 or 443
Intermediate/Advanced (Fluency Builder):
UDP is highly recommended over TCP for better quality audio and video but isn’t required.
- TCP over port 443
- UDP Port 3478 (optional)
The ports only accept inbound traffic after an outbound request is sent. The connection is bidirectional but is always initiated from the corporate network/client so it is not possible for an external entity to send malicious traffic in the opposite direction.
Flash & Webex Requirements
Although Rosetta Stone is phasing out Flash and Webex dependency, the technologies may still be required for some products during that process. These products and features include:
- Foundations - Live Tutoring and Games (Flash)
- Advanced English for Business - Live Tutoring (Flash)
- Advantage - Live Tutoring (Webex)
- Adobe Flash Player - latest browser or desktop version
- Protocols and Ports - RTMPT over port 80
- Flash VoIP supported from *.rosettastone.com
- Oracle Java 6 to Oracle Java 8 with Active X enabled