In versions of SMS prior to 3.0 (such as 2.1.4), you must manually start the SMS Server. If you are not able to start the SMS Server, there are a few possible reasons:
- The SMS Server may already running. Check your task bar to see if the SMS Server window is minimized.
- You may need to adjust your firewall settings to allow the port that SMS uses.
- Another application may be running on the port that SMS uses. This is common if you use Earthlink or BSafe (an Internet filter). To resolve this, change the port that SMS uses to anything in the range of 8080 - 8092.
To Change the Port for SMS:
- Open SMS Configuration (or Administrator Configuration for older versions)
- Windows users will find this on the Start Menu at All Programs > Rosetta Stone > Student Management System > SMS Configuration
- Mac users will find this at /Applications/SMS/SMS Configuration
- In the SMS Setup window, change the Port Number to anything in the range of 8081 - 8092
- Click Set to save the changes
- Restart the SMS Service
- Windows users, click the icon on your Start Menu at All Programs > Rosetta Stone > Student Management System > SMS Service > Restart SMS Service
- Mac users, double-click the icon at /Applications/SMS/SMS Service/Restart SMS Service
- Open the Find SMS Servers utility
- Windows users, click the icon on your Start Menu at All Programs > Rosetta Stone > (Version Number) > Find SMS Servers
- Mac users, double-click the icon at /Applications/Rosetta Stone/(Version Number)/Find SMS Servers
- Click the Find SMS Servers button
- Click to highlight the entry for your SMS Service
- Click on Select SMS Server